Thursday, March 12, 2015

Big questions from the Midwest

A business trip to Ohio this week prompted some big questions.

First of all, why do my business associates have guns? There was a lot of talk of gun safes, Glocks, trigger locks, and the like. And while I understand it's legally permissible to own a gun, I was still confused about why some middle management, suburban dwelling, dads in a low crime town would want to own a gun. It's not like they were out shooting bears in self defense, or dealing drugs in a gangland, or anything.

I suspect it's for the same reason that men who live in a State with a 65 mile per hour speed limit, still want to drive cars with a top speed over 120mph. It's probably something to do with masculinity, and I'm sure good old Freud could explain it all. Whatever the reason, I just hope their children don't get their hands on the gun safe key, or the trigger lock code, or an accidentally-left-unlocked weapon. The whole scenario made me shudder and cry a little bit (on the inside, not in the office, that'd be unprofessional) for England and a land where no white collar workers own handguns and children don't accidentally get shot.

I was so saddened by the whole gun madness issue I was actually really happy when the second big question popped into my mind. It was a good distraction. That question is: why is the Midwest so far East? Or, to put it another way, why is that Eastern part of the US called the Midwest? Look where it is:
You know what's further West than the Midwest...? Almost half the country.

On reflection, I think it might be something to do with the Louisiana purchase. I can't wait till Lady P is at school and can come home and teach me some US history basics. She might even explain the weird gun thing too.

In the meantime, answers on a postcard, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment