Sunday, January 27, 2013

Adaptability


Life isn’t what happens to you, it’s how you respond to what happens to you. So said my wise entrepreneurial friend, and so say I. The key to happiness is the ability to adapt to your conditions.

I pride myself on my ability to adapt, whether it be to the supreme sacrifice of moving to Malibu to be with TLOML, or the grand experiment of our spell in Manhattan. TLOML has had a harder challenge, moving to London in the wettest summer ever and unable to leave the country. But he’s adapted well too (albeit with the odd shaking of his fist and shouting ‘this country!’). As soon as he’s identified his local coffee place, and a purveyor of quality meat, he’s happy. For me, once I’ve established a storage system in a place, I consider myself at home. And that never takes long.

Likewise Jack. He’s adapted very well, being moved from my old flat into a new, bigger one with my activist friend. And then moving back into Fox Corner, and getting to know TLOML. Once he knows where his food bowl is, he’s happy. He also likes it when you put something flat (like a newspaper) on the floor so he can sit on it. He like to be able to go where he likes, when he likes. And that includes jumping on the bed at any time of night he wants some attention.
Jack, happily sleeping on a bag.
Now everyone is telling us how dramatically our life is going to change when the baby comes. Apparently we will be sleep deprived monsters, snapping at each other, unable to string a sentence together and with no more time for long, relaxed dinners. Our cosy, coupley life will be altered beyond recognition.

Well, call me naïve, but I’m remaining positive. So long as my storage system remains intact (and no-one puts the blankets on the swaddle clothes pile), I’ll be okay. And so long as TLOML can still walk about and get his nice coffee from Euphorium (even if he has to do so wearing a baby in a sling), I think he'll be happy.

The question remains about how Jack will cope. He’s rolled with the punches so far, but this baby is going to change everything for him. No more unsupervised access to our bedroom. And we’re imposing a new zero tolerance for being woken up. I fear for him: his cat equilibrium is about to be rather upset. I wonder if it will be enough if we just keep leaving newspapers, empty bags, and such like around for him to sleep on.

2 comments:

  1. people who tell you all that bollocks about babies causing mayhem are the sort of people who will be going to dignitas in 10yrs time cos their knee huts. we had twins as you know and i loved it. one of them nearly died but then didn't and i loved it even more. 9 months without sleep - who cares it's like being at university again but the drugs are free on prescription. i'm currently doing it all over again 10yrs on so can't be that bad. i introduced the puppydog very slowly with phoebe but they love each other now so sure your little girl and the cat will reach an understanding. good luck - you'll be a great mummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Nick, I like these 'it's all wonderful & worth it' stories much more than the ones where it's a life of misery. What's a bit of drudgery and hard work to a Boro lad or lass anyway (albeit a middle class one)? Glad to hear you're enjoying it all second time around too.

    ReplyDelete