Sunday, March 11, 2012

Falling in love again

London is lovely. I always knew it was lovely. But returning with fresh eyes has made me love it even more.

There are some changes, like the growth of hip, independent coffee shops (I know, we're a bit behind Seattle, San Francisco and New York on this one. I think the hipster coffee movement was totally stifled by the onslaught of Starbucks on London, which set us back a decade). And the rash of Boris bike stands that is spreading gradually wider. There's that brilliant new crossing at Oxford Circus. And that new cool building behind Centrepoint, which is one of many new landmark buildings I lilke.

And there are some brilliant things about London which have been there for hundreds of years, and are still there, and still brilliant. After the prefabs of Malibu and the concrete canyons of Manhattan, I love these old things even more.

For example, doors like this:

And shops like this:


And parks and houses like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment